Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Pageant Time!

It's amazing how time works. Throughout the week, I just kept thinking it was the longest week ever. Looking back at it now, it flew by. We saw so many miracles and had a lot of heartbreaks, but I am grateful for each moment because it taught me something different.
Monday: I didn't have a ton of time to email on Monday because we had an awesome bi-zone p-day. With pageant starting this week, they invited our zone and the Quincy zone to Nauvoo to be trained a little on what they wanted us to do when we worked it. It was so fun seeing so many other missionaries and just getting to have a fun day! So we did some trainings and then they got us all tickets to go on a wagon ride and to see a play called, "The Promise." Haha that is definitely not one to see as a Sister surrounded by Elders. Awkward... haha. Haha at one part the actors were pretty close and I look down the row and ALL... and I mean ALL the Elders were squirming in their seat. Haha so great. :)
Tuesday: Because of the big p-day yesterday, we got to finish our laundry and do our grocery shopping today before service. I have definitely been a missionary for too long because I felt super weird doing p-day things on a Tuesday. So we did our service at City Hall and then headed to Montebellos to paint some nails. We ended up running out of time because we had an appt. with a lady who lived about 20 minutes outside of town. Reba is awesome! She is really good friends with Sister Grow and has met with Sisters for years. We got there and she had like a buffet going! Cheese and crackers, candy, cookies. She spoils us. :) We are just trying to work through a lot of her concerns. After that we headed to the Grows and it was good. Sister Grow was havin a rough day, and just needed some girls in the house to even it out. (They have 4 teenage boys!) After that we came back to Hamilton and did some finding.
Wednesday: We got to do family history this morning and I don't know what was with the Spirit of Elijah today, but it hit me like a brick. It is amazing for me to see how badly these people want to be found, and how much the spirit can enlighten your mind to find them. After that, we went to Carthage to do our service there at the hospital, and then went out to track down some of our potentials. We weren't having any luck, so we came back to Hamilton and went and saw Sister Munson. Reading the Ensign with her every week has been one of my favorite things about serving here. She is one of the strongest women I have ever met! WE GOT TO WORK THE PAGEANT TONIGHT!!! Basically that means we just walk around and talk to people who came, just like we normally would on the street. It is really fun! We got to meet a lot of people from around the world. Seeing them all come to Nauvoo has made me very grateful to have the opportunity to serve here. I am in such a sacred place, and at a very special time. We also got to see the British Pageant which was playing tonight. This is the first and only year they will be showing it here in Nauvoo. And we found out on Monday that we actually get to be in the pageant. :) At the end, they talk about how the gospel has gone to all of the world, so they have all the missionaries come on stage and sing Called to Serve. You better believe I bawled like a baby the whole time... on stage. That was such a touching and powerful experience for me. I love being His missionary!
Thursday: Today was kind of rough... because of pageant last night... we didn't get home till around 11:30 so the lack of sleep really got to me. We had a really amazing district meeting today. I love my district. :) I am usually laughing hysterically by the end of each lunch, which makes every one else laugh. We have fun. :) We spent some time in Warsaw and Hamilton today and also did Mormon.org time. We went and saw a less-active member that neither of us have met before. She is so darling! She is a single mom with 2 daughters who are 7 and 3. Sister Rasmussen and I both feel very strongly that we need to help her get to the Temple. Prayers are appreciated!
Friday: We didn't get to weekly plan today because it was just too crazy. We had a sweet lesson with a lady named Roseanne, and she is our newest investigator. The Bishops wife came with us, and it was one of the most powerful lessons I have ever had on my mission. I love the spirit! We went home and had a quick break and then headed to Carthage to check on some people. We saw some less actives and did some finding. We also got another investigator! Her name is Linda. She's pretty cool. :) We had dinner with the Raisors tonight and it was really fun. We got to work the British pageant again tonight and again, it was an amazing experience!
Saturday: We had breakfast with some non-members who live down the street from us. (Our landlords son actually!) We had to eat pretty quick though cause we had a lesson with Betty! In our mission, we are asked to invite our investigators to be baptized on the first lesson, and then set a specific date on the second lesson. Well... this was our second lesson so her date is Sept. 27! We are pretty excited for her! She said that if she got a for sure answer, she would be baptized. PRAYERS!!! We got to do weekie p today and that took up a couple hours, and after that we headed to Carthage to do some finding and see some Less actives. Today was just not a very good day for me... basically I felt like poop... all day. I think I may have had like a 24 hour thing so I was pretty miserable. It is days like this when I am grateful for grace and the Atonement. We  decided to go and hang out with the Criders for our dinner hour. She taught Sister Rasmussen how to crochet while I sat on the floor in pain. It was great!
Sunday: BRAYAN PASSED THE SACRAMENT FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY!!!! I was so proud of him... I just watched him during the sacrament and I cannot even express the joy I felt. Not only was he renewing his newly made covenants, but he was helping others to renew theirs. It was just a really special day today. Next step for him is the Temple! :):) After church, we had our meetings and then had dinner with the Beisks. We had to leave there pretty quick, cause we were going with Alyssa to see the Shallenbergers. It is nice having someone that will come to lessons with us. :)
Well... that was my week. Some downs, and a lot of ups! I just love being a missionary. Today is kind of a special day... I am officially 11 months old. It is just so weird to me. I remember being brand new like it was yesterday... I have loved my mission. It has brought me closer to my Savior in ways I didn't think were possible. One of my favorite things I have loved about my mission has been seeing my ability to feel and recognize the spirit increase. I love the Holy Ghost. I love feeling his presence and his love. He has comforted me through many tough days on my mission... I know that when I feel His presence, it is the love of my Heavenly Father. I love this video!
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2012-01-002-comfort-in-trials?category=mormon-channel-programs&lang=eng
I encourage each of you to read Chapter 4 in Preach my Gospel about recognizing the spirit. Learning of Him is so critical to our eternal progression.
I love each of you and pray that you may have a great week! Take time to notice the miracles... at little or as big as they may be. :)
-Sister Jensen