Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Glow of Fireflies and Missionary Work

This week was a really amazing week. Lots of laughs and miracles. :)
Monday: Just a normal p-day with the exception of some shoe shopping. :) We had dinner with the Grahamas and they are awesome! They told us lots of stories which I love, so it was fun. That night the COOLEST thing happened. We had about 20 minutes before we were to go back home so we did some tracting and met Keith. He straight away told us he wasn't going to be a Mormon but then we told him a joke... haha he liked us then. :) We found out that he LOVES family history (shocker.) so we invited him to the family search center with us. Hopefully he comes! We talked to him for so long that we just headed home after. On our way though we passed this guy decked out in tattoos. Like head to toe. He literally FLAGGED US DOWN. No joke... flagged us down while we were driving. So Sister R pulls up and rolls the window down half way (she thought we were gonna die..) and this guy says, "I got into a bad car accident back in February..." *At this point his two kids walk up and stand by him and I thought he was gonna ask for money.. how could I say no? "I decided I wanna change my life around. Can I have one of your books?" Um... what? Say that again? Holy smokes. Talk about being prepared. We have an appt. to teach Weeler and his family this week! :)
Tuesday: I first off have to start by saying something that only a few members of my family will understand. I made the GREATEST Gecko Grill qu
Wednesday: Today we had an awesome zone training meeting! The Assistants came and also a bunch of missionaries from Nauvoo, with Sister Newell being one of them! :) They trained us on how to get the word of pageant out and also told us we would be getting assignments of what we are doing for pageant soon. Um... I'm spoiled. After the meeting, we all went to lunch at Grandpa Johns and it was hilarious! We played this game called, "I can pogo..." Haha blew my mind. You know its a good day when the Assistants to the President and your Zone Leaders are about on the floor from laughing so hard. I love my mission. :) After lunch we headed to the family search center. Just a heads up that I have been finding A TON of names on my papas (Transtrum) side so if you want names to take to the Temple, ask my mom. :) That night we had dinner with the Biesks and then some finding.
Thursday: We had a lot of really amazing lessons today! We had a sweet one with Brayan, our recent convert. He has been struggling a lot lately and we just had a really good lesson with him. We asked a lot of inspired questions and got to the root of his problem. It was just a really amazing lesson and day.
Friday: Good ole' weekly planning today. After that we did some mormon.org time and then some finding. We met with Sister Plessinger and she is just the sweetest lady ever! She has the most amazing conversion story I have ever heard, and it really pumped me up. After dinner we checked on some referrals and did some finding. When we came home for the night... WE SAW OUR FIRST FIREFLIES! Yes. Exciting... I know. :) They were so cool, and you better believe we sat and watched em for a good 10 minutes.
Saturday: Today was a really amazing day. We fasted as a mission and really saw some amazing miracles. We spent half the day in Hamilton and then half the day in Carthage. Carthage really brought a lot of tender mercies for us. We were able to see Mark, one of our investigators. I think I already told you about Mark. About 2 years ago he was supposed to get baptized. A couple days before his baptism his foot blew up. So he took that as a sign not to get baptized. Well... missionaries have been working with him ever since. He has been scared to come to church and get baptized. I know that fasting is a very special thing because of the outcome of our lesson with Mark. He promised he would come to church and he accepted a baptismal date for August 2. For me that is a very tender mercy because that is my birthday. As I have thought about that, I just feel very blessed. What better way to celebrate my birth than to watch a child of God I have grown to love very much experience a new birth. I cannot think of any better way to spend my birthday honestly! Just keep Mark in your prayers. He needs as many as he can get! :) That night we got to go in early cause we didn't have a dinner appt. We decided we needed a companion date night. (See picture below.) :)
Sunday: MARK CAME TO CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot even begin to describe the joy I felt as he walked into the church building. He had such an amazing time and even stayed 2 hours! He said he wants to start coming every week. I am getting teary eyed as I write this because of how much I am grateful to my Heavenly Father! He loves Mark so much and I have truly felt that as we have taught him. I feel very blessed to be able to be an instrument in the Lords hands to work with Mark. GOD IS GOOD!THE CHURCH IS TRUE! We also had a really amazing lesson with the Shallenbergers. We helped them really understand our purpose and the spirit was so strong. We know they felt it because we can tell that they have this renewed desire to really find out if they should be baptized. To top the whole day off we got to have dinner with the Raisors. They remind me SO much of my aunt and uncle, Jon and Michelle so you can imagine how much I just love them. :) Such a good Sunday.
It has been confirmed to me so many times this week that this is where I need to be. Heavenly Father has sent me here for a reason. These people need me, but more importantly I need them. I have grown to love the people here in the Hamilton area so much.
There is something very special that is happening this next week that I wanted to focus on for my video this week.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2013-01-002-earthly-father-heavenly-father?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2013-01-1020-fathers-day?lang=eng

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2009-04-005-bad-hair-day?lang=eng
esadilla for lunch today. Haha it was bomb! :) Anyways... Today we just did a lot of finding and service. The only crazy thing that happened was a way legit storm. Like lighting every 3 seconds. Haha.. it was so sweet. :)
That's right. It is Fathers day this upcoming Sunday. I absolutely love these videos because they make me think of my Dad. I absolutely love my Dad. He will probably rebuke me for giving this whole shpeal on my email... but hey I am how many miles away? :) My dad is amazing. As a kid I remember a lot of good memories with him: his rice and beans, tang, tic tacs, country music, letting me wipe my nose on his shirt, softball practice, funny jokes, and so many more things. For a couple months before I left on my mission, we would do a monthly daddy-daughter date and I hope that he knows that those were some of my favorite memories with him. Just me and him. Dad- you better believe we are still doing those when I get home. I also remember when I was writing my farewell talk for my mission. I was struggling and he came in and sat on my bed and started helping me. I'm sure he doesn't think that I remember that, but I do. I teach every day that the Gospel strengthens families and that moment for me was the perfect example. Dad, I love you. Thank you for all that you have done for me. I am very proud to be your "Gabes." :)
Also, my Sister Justine is getting married this weekend! Tine- I am so very happy for you and Chris. Know that I will be thinking of you and praying the day goes well. Everybody give them and extra hug from their favorite Sister. :)
Well... I hope that you all have a wonderful week and that you truly take time to recognize the blessings in your life. I love you all!
-Sister Jensen
The chapel overflow... welcome to church in Nauvoo between the months of June-August. :)
Pizza. "The Testaments." Chocolate. Beds on floor. I love companion date night. :)

This was at 9 in the morning in front of our house. It's safe to say that it rained a little in Hamilton...
We were getting a pic to send to a missionary we had served with in Winterset and ended up with this. :)